Director of Student Services – Sample Job Description
As the Director of Student Services, your role is to strategically coordinate, manage, and oversee the initiatives and daily functions carried out by the Student Services team. This team is crucial in providing comprehensive support to the student body, aiming to facilitate their academic and personal growth.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Regulatory Compliance: Remain vigilant in upholding and enforcing compliance with all local, state, and federal laws, as well as institutional policies that govern student services. Continuously update your understanding and interpretation of these regulations.
- Student Retention Leadership: Drive the development and implementation of student retention strategies, ensuring that both short-term and long-term retention goals are met or exceeded.
- Policy Management: Design, roll out, and continually revise student policies and procedures that not only enhance student learning but also augment the overall educational program.
- Ability to Benefit Program Oversight: Provide comprehensive supervision of the Ability to Benefit program, guaranteeing that the program meets all regulatory stipulations and procedures.
- Academic Monitoring and Counseling: Actively oversee and offer counsel to students concerning their Standards of Academic Progress, proposing effective strategies for academic improvement.
- Team Development and Oversight: Be responsible for the recruitment, training, performance assessment, and day-to-day supervision of the Student Services staff.
- Student Support Programs: Develop, manage, and evaluate programs geared toward assisting students in areas such as housing, academic and life counseling, transportation, and other essential life skills.
- Record-Keeping: Diligently maintain accurate and comprehensive records relating to student attendance, academic performance, and financial statuses, ensuring all records are audit-compliant.
- Reporting and Data Analysis: Regularly produce weekly or monthly reports as specified, employing thorough analytical techniques to identify potential challenges and solutions.
- Miscellaneous Duties: Undertake any other responsibilities as mandated, to support the department’s overall effectiveness and objectives.
The Director of Student Services will assume supervisory responsibilities for all staff within the Student Services Department, in compliance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. This includes, but is not limited to, tasks such as interviewing, hiring, training, work planning, performance evaluation, rewarding and disciplining employees, and problem resolution.
- Ethical Conduct: Maintain respectful and honorable interactions with all stakeholders, while demonstrating a strong sense of trustworthiness and integrity.
- Communication Skills: Exceptional ability to communicate effectively, both in oral and written formats, coupled with attentive listening and understanding skills.
- Relationship Management: Capable of building and sustaining productive relationships, marked by a positive attitude, tact, and cooperative spirit.
- Customer-Centric Approach: Prompt and sensitive response to the needs of students, coupled with a persistent commitment to service enhancement.
- Effective Delegation: Ability to allocate tasks effectively, granting team members autonomy while acknowledging their accomplishments.
- Personal Accountability: Assume responsibility for one’s own actions, aiming for exemplary job performance and punctuality.
- Technical Proficiency: Expertise in relevant job skills with a proactive attitude toward learning and applying new competencies.
- Decision-Making Acumen: Sound decision-making capabilities, involving team members in the process, and timely execution of decisions.
- Leadership and Mentorship: Proven ability to guide and accept responsibility for team performance while investing in the skill development of subordinates.
- Organizational Prowess: Exceptional skills in prioritizing and planning work tasks, setting meaningful goals, and maintaining organized work practices.
- Education and Experience: A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution and at least two years of experience in a comparable role are required. Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of ten years of relevant experience will be given strong preference.
The successful candidate must be capable of satisfactorily fulfilling each essential duty listed above. The stipulated qualifications encapsulate the essential knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for effective performance in this role.