Dean of Academics – Sample Job Description
The Dean of Academics holds a unique place in the continuum of academic administrators, as the facilitating link among academic leadership and the university administration. All activities and roles of the Dean of Academics are undertaken in the light of furthering the best interests of students.
- Manages and revises academic policies and programs in cooperation with the President, COO, and School Deans.
- Provide senior-level academic oversight to provide quality control over the development of curricula, instructional resources, and academic processes.
- Facilitate the training of school deans in institutional policies and procedures.
- Provides academic oversight, with the collaboration of Deans, to institutional enrollment/retention management efforts.
- Oversees school deans’ evaluation, training, professional development, and management of their program directors.
- Oversee general education faculty evaluation, training, and professional development.
- Provide a mentoring environment to school Deans and general education faculty.
- Perform annual performance evaluations of school Deans and general education faculty.
- Perform classroom observations of school deans (who are teaching classes) and general education faculty.
- Serves as a member of the Management Team.
- Chairs the Academic Advisory Committee.
- Supervise the process to plan, schedule, and coordinate academic and administrative educational support in preparation for periodic program reviews, campus visits, and self-studies.
- Interface with individual departments to follow up on tasks and projects related to accreditation and compliance.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Understands online and campus-based pedagogies
- Utilizes adult learning theory in the administration of academic programs leading to student success
- Proficiency in institutional accreditor, federal and state regulatory requirements as they affect the academics of the University.
- Experience with document resource management, filing, and tracking systems.
- Ability to interpret academic and administrative policies and procedures.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and produce reports under strict guidelines.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities, task-oriented projects, and details simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Must be able to exercise discretion and decision-making abilities.
- Doctoral degree required
- Minimum of 3 years of academic leadership experience