- Full Time
- Houston, TX
The Senior Human Resources (HR) Manager position is responsible for performing HR responsibilities at the subject matter expert level providing expertise in functional areas such as employee relations consultation/conflict resolution, policy interpretation and application, management consultation, talent acquisition, workforce data analysis, performance appraisal training; applies an accurate working knowledge of benefit and compensation programs and processes.
This role requires a high degree of emotional intelligence and critical thinking/decision-making skills to work with all levels of management and staff in an effective and positive manner. The Senior Human Resources Manager must be able to rapidly shift from one functional area to another successfully to anticipate HR-related needs within their respective client groups, complete assignments, and meet important deadlines. This position serves as a role model within the HR department, providing training and guidance to other HR team members as appropriate.o
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- The person in this role will need to be a highly analytical and strategic leader to support the business needs of the organization. The HR Manager will need to have strong experience supporting and fostering positive company culture. The HR Manager will be responsible for, but not limited to the following job responsibilities:
- Developing and administering human resources plans and procedures that relate to company personnel.
- Planning, organizing, and controlling the activities and actions of the HR department.
- Contributing to the development of HR department goals, objectives, and systems.
- Provide guidance to management and employees on human resources issues, employment law, and develop new programs and initiatives to meet management needs.
- Conduct complex/sensitive employee-related investigations and make recommendations for best practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation.
- Perform advanced employee relations functions including support and counseling regarding employee and job-related conflicts, problem-solving and dispute resolution, managing employee performance issues, review and assessment of termination requests.
- Investigate EEOC charges, business practice complaints, and unemployment claims. Identifies appropriate options for management/senior leadership consideration, makes recommendations as necessary and writes summary reports to support employment-related business decisions.
- Act as COVID-19 safety coordinator and serve as subject matter expert working with campus presidents and management regarding the interpretation of protocols and processes.
- Developing and implementing policies that comply with state and federal labor laws
- Coordinate open enrollments, changes, and training for employee benefits programs
- Assist with employee inquiries; coordinate open enrollment process/communication annually.
- Consult with management regarding the assessment of performance improvement needs and the development of associated action plans.
- Proactively gathers and interprets data; identifies opportunities for improvement. Conducts workforce data analysis, prepares summary reports, and develops and recommends strategies and actions indicated by such data to improve HR metrics.
- Creates reports and monitors trends such as turnover and time to fill to support clients with staffing challenges. Partners with recruitment and management to identify and remove barriers to filling positions.
- Interprets human resources policy and procedures and provides guidance to management and employees on human resources issues, employment law, and develop new programs and initiatives to meet management needs to employees and managers. Makes recommendations to management on identified opportunities for policy, procedure, and process improvement.
- Explains compensation policy and recommendations to management to gain acceptance and understanding. Leads or participates in activities related to compensation such as job description development, providing counsel to management on compensation-related issues, compensation analysis, and development of recommendations. Advises management on handling crucial compensation conversations.
- Analyze current recruitment process (both using internal and external resources) and engage in process mapping and improvement.
- Together with legal and regulatory team, develop and manage HR policies, ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations and all new hire paperwork is properly completed and securely filed.
- Communication with direct colleagues and the business about approach and methods for solving complex problems.
- This job description is not all-inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. The college reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization’s HRIS and talent management systems.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
- At least five years of human resource management experience preferred.
- PRH/SPHR certification is a plus.