- Full Time
- Ontario, CA
Dean of Nursing – Ontario, CA
Why You Should Work With Us:
Our client is a rapidly growing nursing school that transforms people’s lives by preparing them for careers in nursing and improving communities through the care its graduates provide. As a leading nurse educator, they offer students the opportunity to earn a bachelor’s in nursing in 3 years or less with qualified transfer credits.
The quality nursing curriculum prepares students for an in-demand career to help communities overcome the chronic, well-known, and increasing nursing shortage. Through the execution of a targeted growth strategy, the college plans to meet the growing demand for nurses by launching campuses in markets where bachelor’s prepared nurses are needed.
Putting students first, they are dedicated to providing students with an exceptional education in growing healthcare fields and teaching them relevant, required skills for today and the future.
Passion: We love helping others succeed.
Excellence: We strive to be the best.
Adaptability: We learn, in part by trying new ideas.
Accountability: We own our results.
Integrity: We do the right thing.
What You’ll Do:
As a member of the College’s leadership team, the Dean of Nursing collaborates closely with the Executive Director of Academic Operations and the rest of the campus leadership team on policy-making, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the campus’s activities and assists in ensuring that the College’s vision, mission, and values are foundational elements in guiding decision-making and actions.
Administrative and Leadership
- Responsible for monitoring and evaluating direct reports, including but not limited to, the nursing faculty, clinical coordinator, and director of simulation.
- Ensures compliance of nursing program with State Board of Nursing requirements. Prepares and completes annual and required reports and data for the Board. Notifies the Board of any substantial changes as outlined by the rules and regulations of the State BON.
- Represents the nursing program at meetings of appropriate bodies, including the Board of Nursing.
- Submits information for preparation of the annual operating and capital budget.
- Provides leadership to the faculty in preparation for the accreditation self-study.
- Prepares and maintains statistics related to program outcomes.
- Maintains records relevant to the program.
- Manage direct reports including conducting 1:1s, Quarterly Check-Ins, Performance Management, and offering Training and Development.
- Promptly notify the direct manager and appropriate corporate stakeholders of all legal issues.
- Notify the manager of any personnel changes at the management level.
- Provide positive leadership to build employee morale.
Clinical Scheduling/Clinical Consortium
- When student threshold is met, supervises directly the Assistant Dean of Nursing.
- Supervises directly or indirectly the Clinical Coordinator position and is accountable for clinical coordination in accordance with the clinical scheduling practice, state consortium, and Board of Nursing.
- Collaborates with the clinical coordinator, faculty, and facilities in evaluating the appropriateness of clinical facilities and curricular experiences.
- Ensures a sufficient supply of direct patient care hours necessary to deliver the nursing curriculum.
- Indirectly, in partnership with the Clinical Coordinator, monitors students’ compliance with health regulations and directly serves as liaison to the Board of Health (as needed) in conjunction with the clinical coordinator.
- Oversees the Health and Safety Orientation for students about to progress to the Core
- Is responsible for the appointment, retention, and promotion of faculty, including general education faculty in the absence of an Executive Director of Academic Operations or Dean of General Education.
- Manages the hiring process with interviews, teaching presentations, and reference checks
- Directly or indirectly coordinates the orientation and onboarding process of faculty (Adjunct and Full Time).
- Includes computer and IT training
- Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI) training and education
- Guides faculty on academic issues in the development of various ATI methodologies regarding classroom instruction.
- Develops faculty workload schedules, ensuring that office hours are held, committee service is fulfilled, and full-time faculty are scheduled 36 credit hours annually based on the Fiscal Year.
- Directly or indirectly makes assignments for adjunct clinical faculty.
- Ensures each nursing student has a faculty advisor.
- Works with faculty to ensure appropriate delivery of content/concepts and sequencing based on student performance on standardized exams.
- Resolves conflict effectively.
- Ensures appropriate and meaningful faculty development and mentoring resources for individual faculty and the faculty to drive program outcomes and grow faculty.
- Prepares and manages the Core Nursing Orientation for Level 5 students.
- Provides advisement for students; resolves student problems.
- Coordinates activities related to student admission, retention, progression, and graduation.
- Works with the Executive Director of Academic Operations and Dean of General Education to ensure all areas of the student experience align with outcomes and mission to obtain the highest levels of student achievement and satisfaction.
- Serves as liaison to ATI for scheduling of live reviews and services.
- Works with ATI and faculty to assess course outcomes and teaching strategies using ATI data.
- Facilitates textbook and media selection process.
- Works with the BSN Program Manager, ensuring that the appropriate textbook ordering has been made by the deadline and that students receive their textbooks for the courses in which they enroll.
- Reviews and addresses findings for end-of-course evaluations.
- Collaborates with the Dean of General Education (DOGE) to ensure appropriate alignment of the liberal arts and nursing curricula, facilitate joint in-service offerings, hold regular joint meetings, and provide updates for each department at least quarterly.
- Recommends the purchase of supplies and equipment for support of the nursing program.
- Works collaboratively with the Nursing Lab Manager to ensure the labs are properly maintained and meet standards regarding level and type of equipment.
- Chairs monthly meetings of the nursing faculty and in the absence of a DOGE, chairs all general education faculty meetings.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of all nursing program committees
- Serves on these committees:
- BSN Curriculum Committee
- Community Advisory Council
- Academic Affairs Committee
- Systematic Evaluation Plan (SEP) Committee
What We Need From You:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Master’s degree in nursing, doctorate preferred. Doctorate is required in states where BON requires a doctoral-prepared program administrator.*
- Five years combined teaching experience and experience in curriculum development and administration
- Holds a current unencumbered state professional registered nurse license or enhanced compact nurse licensure relevant to the state of teaching location.*
* Subject to state BON/BRN regulation where student is located.
Excelon does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, marital or veteran status, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.